Interpretation sessions can be of huge importance to all involved. After all, these calls do things like ensure justice, save lives, and welcome newborns.
Singular as these calls may be, there are common ways that you can partner with a LanguageLine interpreter to get the best result from your session.
Here are five tips that will help you work with a LanguageLine interpreter most effectively.
At the start of the session
- Allow the interpreter to start the session by giving you their name and Interpreter ID. Document this information for reference.
- Introduce yourself to the interpreter.
- Brief the interpreter and state the goal of the session and provide any specific instructions.
- Introduce yourself and the interpreter to the limited English proficient, Deaf, or Hard-of-Hearing.
During the session
- Address the limited English proficient, Deaf, or Hard-of-Hearing individual, not the interpreter. The interpreter will be your voice. Keep in mind that everything stated will be interpreted. .
- State information in short, concise sentences. When stating complicated or detailed information, speak at a slow pace and pause often. This allows the interpreter to note, retain, and relay the information. The interpreter may sometimes ask for repetitions or clarification.
- Avoid technical jargon and try to explain specialized terms or concepts.
- Avoid interrupting the interpreter or talking at the same time.
- Do not ask interpreters for their opinion.
Ending the session
- Ask the limited English proficient, Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing individual if they understood, or if they have any questions or concerns.
- Allow the interpreter to interpret everything before ending the session.
LanguageLine Can Help
We know that the stakes of your interpretation session are extremely high. This is why we pride ourselves on providing the world’s highest quality interpretation. Unlike most of our competitors, LanguageLine interpreters are highly trained employees.
Interested in learning more about how LanguageLine interpretation can help delight your customers while increasing the efficiency of your business? We invite you to contact us so that we can learn more about the opportunities that reside within your organization.